Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Time is Right to Fight

(Apologies to Atari Teenage Riot for shamelessly quoting their song "Deutschland Has Gotta Die" for the title of this blog post. Anyway...)

After requesting help from one of my Art of Living friends, at their suggestion, I met with someone else today to talk about my diabetes. (For those that don't know, I have Type II diabetes.) This person has lived with diabetes for at least 10 years, and so he has given me advice that has worked for him...but what's unusual this time is that while this is advice I've heard before, for some reason I feel as if I can actually internalize it and use it. I'm not sure why. That's why I titled this blog post like I did, because for some reason, the time just feels right for me to take on my diabetes head on.

Perhaps it's because this time I have measurable goals and time frames set up. Maybe it's because I'm motivated to make this my singular focus, and not let anything else phase me. (That is, I don't let failures in my other goals for life get to me, because right now my diabetes is what I have to focus on.) But somehow, it feels like I can do this now.

Admittedly, this new focus requires me to at least temporarily adopt some dietary practices that might not be conducive to my explorations of Hinduism - I'm going low-carb for this, and going low-carb in this society, at least with the kind of life I lead, requires a meat-centered diet. But I think for the sake of improving my health, so I can live longer, and thus devote more time later to studying the Hindu faith and adapting to it, God(s) can forgive me. After all, it's not like I have to go low-carb forever, and getting my diabetes under control now will lead to a healthier mind and soul, so I can be a better person, right? :-)

I think Ganesha can forgive me going low-carb now for the sake of living longer later. Perhaps after I get my diabetes under better control I can go vegetarian. Regardless, I'm doing some Ganesha mantra chanting tonight to get started properly. ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck, Phillip, I'm sure u can do it..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I'm sure you're definitely going to be forgiven. Ganbatte~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, but keep in mind there are millions of people in your situation who do not eat meat as well. Knowledge is power, ask the world for help on this, and it will come. Diet is funny, there are 10B things out their that can sustain us, 90% of it is plant life, thats were the secrets are hidden.

    ReplyDelete