Thursday, December 12, 2013

Strange Inspiration

Namaste, readers! As the title of this blog entry states, I've recently been inspired to look into trying something which might be strange for others to hear. Before your minds wander too far, I will tell you what I've been looking into - I want to try to learn how to play a South Indian classical instrument, the Saraswati veena.

As for why? Well, there are several reasons, but foremost among them, is that I keep hearing and reading about how artists and musicians feel like they attain closeness to God(s) via their art or music practice. I hope to deepen my Hindu spiritual practice by learning an instrument such as the Saraswati veena. I know some might say this may seem like a passing fancy, that I might lose interest early on, but somehow I don't think this will be the case. I say that now because...well, I need some way of delving deeper spiritually through art. I love writing, but for some reason, writing alone doesn't fulfill my spiritual needs. It's like I need a companion art to really express my soul.

I know I will need a teacher to guide me, and I've already started looking on that front. In fact, I've already made contact with a teacher. However, the next step is a bit harder than one might expect - acquiring a Saraswati veena seems prohibitively expensive for someone like me right now.

Perhaps the potential expense of a Saraswati veena might be a sign that I'm not to pursue this instrument yet, but as the old saying goes, where there is a will, there's a way - I already have some friends of mine searching for one that might be more within my reach. Also, if any of you readers have any tips on this, I would love to hear them. ;)

Here's hoping Sri Saraswati blesses me on my quest...

No comments:

Post a Comment